Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Experts
Clickthrough was founded in 2009 with the primary goal of helping New Zealand businesses generate quality sales and lead enquiries from Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and paid Search Engine Marketing (SEM) – together simply known as search marketing.
Since then we have accumulated a wealth of search marketing expertise that helps websites and web stores generate excellent returns on investment.
What is Search Marketing, SEO and SEM?
Search engine marketing is a combination of search engine optimisation (SEO) and paid search engine marketing (SEM). It has two categories. As Google is the primary search engine used in NZ with a +95% marketing share, we shall reference it to help you discern between the two search marketing categories – SEO and SEM.
Contact our SEM Team
These two search marketing categories are:
- SEM – which stands for search engine marketing and uses paid strategies to appear in the search results pages. The most established form of SEM is Google Ads, also known in the New Zealand search industry as PPC advertising, paid search and cost-per-click advertising.
- SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimisation (spelt optimization in the USA) uses organic strategies to appear in the search results pages and on Google Maps. SEO is also known in the NZ search industry as organic search and natural search.
Here is an image that shows:
- SEM listings at the top of the page, marked with the word “AD” next to them.
- SEO listings below the SEM listings and including the Google Maps listings.
Which is better, SEO or SEM?
Ultimately we believe a combination of both is most effective. Across our portfolio the trend is towards B2B buyers and B2C users often clicking on both the organic SEO and paid SEM results of a website before converting.
The two sources, SEO & SEM, essentially assist each other, with both being stronger than their individual parts.
Differences & similarities with SEO & SEM
Here is a list of differences and similarities between search engine optimisation and search engine marketing:
- SEM is immediate. We can set up a Google Ads PPC advertising campaign that generates immediate clicks into your website. SEO takes longer to build your rankings, especially with a new website.
- Both SEO & SEM require great content. There is a myth that SEM landing pages can be minimalistic. This may work with niche products and services – though generally your Google Ads campaigns will get a better Quality Score and thus cost per click (CPC) if the landing page has excellent content that relates to your ads and the keywords being targeted.
- Both SEO & SEM requires a fast loading, well designed website that helps users find what they are looking for quickly. This is particularly pertinent for smartphone browsers.
- Clicks from organic SEO tend to be of better quality. In our experience that is certainly the case, especially with SEM click fraud still being an issue.
- The intelligence gained from a SEM campaign can help set your SEO strategy – in particular when testing new search terms and determining which keywords are delivering the best return on investment.
Contact our Search Marketing Team
Need help generating visits, leads or online sales from your website or online store? Don’t hesitate to contact our SEO or SEM consultants using the form below or email [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
The data and insights gained from an SEM campaign can inform and enhance your SEO strategy. By testing new search terms and analysing
which keyvvords deliver the best return on investment (ROI) through SEM, you can refine your SEO efforts and optimise your website for the most
effective keywords and content.
SEM, specifically through Google Ads (PPC advertising), allows your business to appear in the top search results pages, increasing visibility and
driving targeted traffic to your website. This can result in more sales and lead inquiries from interested customers.