Score your site with our SEO checker
Need a free SEO audit tool? Get your SEO website checkup using our new toolbar app below. Simply enter the URL of a web page, the target search phrase for that page and your email address. Your SEO report should take less than 30 seconds to complete and will be treated in confidence.
What is an SEO Audit?
An SEO audit is not just a score against a checklist of items. A website SEO audit (AKA website SEO checker) is the most important building block for achieving better SEO results. It essentially benchmarks your website against a set of key ranking factors. Bear in mind, Google changes its search engine algorithm hundreds of times each year, which means your SEO company needs to audit your site frequently and adjust your SEO strategy to take advantage of any changes.
SEO Audits, a great start
Why do I need an SEO company to run an SEO review, can I not do it myself? The summary report from the SEO audit is just a start. How you prioritise and implement the results from your SEO audit is what really makes the difference.
Here are two options to help you take advantage of an SEO audit.
Option 1: DIY SEO Audit
If you are intent on running your SEO program yourself, then we suggest attending our SEO training courses to learn more about Search Engine Optimisation audit checkups and best practices.
Option 2: Outsource your SEO
With this option, you outsource the SEO strategy of your site to Clickthrough or another SEO agency. You can read more about our SEO audit process and our typical audit checklist below.
Clickthrough’s Five Step SEO Audit Checklist (2018)
Our SEO Audit process currently follows these five steps.
- We set your SEO targeting strategy. For example, we discover if you are targeting Aucklanders or a NZ wide SEO strategy, we define the search terms for your SEO campaign, we review your competitors targeting, setup benchmarks etc).
- We conduct an ondeck SEO Audit. We review the onpage factors of your website, things that can be changed on the website itself. Onpage SEO factors include the quality of your content, your website usability and download speeds, how your website is tagged for its target search terms, and a raft of other onpage SEO factors.
- We conduct an off-page SEO Audit. We audit offdeck SEO factors, that are not part of the website. Offdeck SEO factors mostly focus on the the quality, quantity and relevancy of websites that link back to yours over time. You should read Google’s Quality Guidelines for link spam or this SEO blog about link spam, to better understand the risks associated with running afoul of Google’s link spam guidelines. Your off-deck SEO audit should review your website’s backlink profile and SEO trusts scores and identify any negative SEO patterns that may lead to an organic SEO rankings penalty.
- We conduct an audit of your local search setup. We audit your Google My Business setup (aka Google Local or Google Maps) against a set of best practice factors. This part of the audit is crucial for businesses providing local services.
- Finally, we set your SEO implementation roadmap. We consolidate the results from points 1-4 above into a roadmap of activities prioritised into a list of quick wins and longer term priorities.